Fort Hall Indian Boarding School

 
Location: Fort Hall, ID
Years of Operation: 1880-1936
Brief History: The boarding school was opened in 1880. Eight years later, 68 children at the school died from scarlet fever and the school became known as the "Death House." Due to resistance from Shoshone and Bannocks to send their children to the school, US Calvary troops were deployed in 1897. By 1908, enrollment had increased to 200 students. The Fort Hall boarding school closed in 1936, after the opening of three day schools on the reservation. The school was later used as a labor camp for 320 German prisoners of World War II.
Primary Sources: Fort Hall Tribal Library
Wikipedia:


Site Coordinator:

Laverne Beech

shocree@hotmail.com

 

Contact Number:

(208) 478-3818

 

Event Date and Time:

May 19, 2009

9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

 

Event Location:

Shoshone Bannock

Junior / Senior High School

 

Event Flyer:

http://shobanwellbrietyday.eventbrite.com